Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Baseball Hero by Collin 7th Grade

      It was the third game of the LLWD(Little League World Series.)It was the bottom of the ninth and my team, the pelicans were down a run. The score was 2-3 and we were losing. We had just ended the eighth inning and were up to bat. Sam Johansson was up to bat. 2-3 today. Sam trotted up to the base and crouched down in his batting stance with a snarl on his lips. The pitcher wound up and let loose a wobbly change up. Sam swung with all his might, but missed. Strike!!! The umpire growled. Sam recovered his dignity and again looked ready to tear the ball apart. The pitcher wound up and let loose a straight fastball right down the plate. With confidence and ease, Sam unwound his arms that gripped the bat and swung with perfect posture. This time Sam Hit a dinger to left center back to the track. The fielders scrambled to get the ball, but by the time they could get it back to the diamond, Sam had already collected a double. Next up to bat, was Riley Tomas. Riley on the first pitch drilled a line past the diving short stop and into centerfield. A single. With a man on first and third with no outs, things were beginning to look up for the pelicans. Up to bat next was Matt. The first two pitches that came towards matt he swung hopelessly at. 0 and 2. Matt’s legs and bat knocked together and sweat poured down his face. As if in slow motion, the pitcher wound up and we all held our breath in nervousness. CRACK!!!!!! The ball ricochet off the bat and ran towards second base. Sam saw his opportunity and took off towards third.

Unfortunately, when the dust had cleared, the result of the play was a line into a double play. With two outs and Sam on third, chances of advancing to the final game of the world series was slim, and we all knew it. Things did start to look up though when the pitcher walked the next two batters. The bases were loaded and it was my turn to bat! There were two outs, and my mouth went dry when it dawned on me that the turnout of the game was fully on my shoulders! Suddenly, right when I was ready to bat, coach called for a time out and  trotted out onto the field. He leaned over my shoulder and whispered,” Son, I now you might not like this, but I am going to have your pitch run for Sam, and Zack hit in your place. Relief washed over me as I made my way over to third. I took a deep breath and a lead off third as the pitcher went into his wind up. I could already see the play coming. His wobbly form and Jelly arm said it all. As if by instinct I sprinted towards home seeing the wild pitch coming. The catcher seeing it to desperately lunged out of his way to try and snag the pitch. In a diving effort, the catcher snagged the ball, and seeing me coming dove for home. Seeing his outstretched glove waiting to touch me I twisted out of his reach and slid for home. As the ploom of smoke rose, the game hinged on the umpire’s call. The stadium went silent, and everyone sat on the edge of their seat. The umpire leaned over the scene at the tangled mess of me and the catcher. With a frown on his face he barked,” YER OUT!” The stadium erupted in groans. I laid on the ground wanting for the earth to swallow me up. It was my fault that we lost!

                                                (One season later)

Again, it was the LLWS. The whole team except for me had gotten over the loss from our last World Series experience. This time we had made it to the final game of the World Series against the Titans, the same team we had lost to because of my poor steal one season earlier. Once again it was the bottom of the ninth, but his time we were down by five runs. Our defense had done a good job cleaning up the batters in the top of the ninth striking them out one by one. But this time things were looking down for us. Our offense had gotten in only one hit all game and the score was 0-5. But, it was the bottom of the ninth and that was a magical innings. You hear stories of games where teams have been down by unmeasurable odds but managed a magical rally and won the game. The whole team was praying that that could happen now. Over the intercom, the announcer called for the first batter. “Up next to bat for the Pelicans, Sam Johansson!” Last game in the World Series, (if you remember) Sam had hit a double to left center. We hoped that he could do the same or better this time around. Sam jogged to the plate and stepped into the batter’s box. His glare of anticipation drilled into the pitcher who was having a great game with 13 strike outs. With a smug grin on his face he wound up and let loose a strong curve ball. As if by reflex Sam unwound his arms and hit a line drive right on the right field line! Sam sprinted around the bases as the right fielder did his best to grab hold of the ball and get it back into play. But before he could get it to short stop, Sam had already made his way to third base with ease. A triple. Obviously unfazed the pitcher got back into a groove and struck out the next two batters. We couldn’t watch anymore. We were going to lose this game. With two outs and a man on Third there was no way to win, because we were losing 0-5. Fortunately, the success got to the pitcher’s head and he walked the next two batters. The next batter who came up to bat was Jeremy Ross. Ross stared down the pitcher and rung out the bat waiting for the pitch. The pitcher let one loose and Jeremy rocketed it into deep center! One run scored, two runs scored! Two runs scored on Ross’ double! There was still hope! Now with someone on second and third, the score was 2-5! Things were looking up just a little bit for the Pelicans. Obviously struggling the pitcher walked the next batter, loading the bases for the second time this inning.

            Over the intercom, the announcer announced the next batter. “Batting next for the Pelican’s, Brain Zinger!” At that name, I turned to Jelly. My mouth went dry and flashbacks of my last humiliating batting experience came to mind. Again, the turnout of the game was up to me. Limp, I nervously made my way to the batter’s box. When the pitcher saw me he let out a chuckle and a grin. I couldn’t do this. The first two pitches whizzed past me and smacked into the catcher’s glove. It was 0-2, with the bases loaded and two outs. In my mind, I saw me sliding home and missing the plate. At that moment, everything went in slow motion. All I could here was the eerie thumping of my heart banging out of my chest. In slow motion, the pitcher went into his wind up and unwound his arm to let by a sizzling fast ball. Slowly the ball made it way toward the plate. I uncoiled from by batting stance and swung with all my might. POW!!! The ball exploded of my bat and all the fielders went for the fence trying desperately to make a spectacular catch. But that ball was gone! Shock smeared the pitchers face as he threw down his glove and glared as I rounded the bases! I had done it, a grand slam! We won the world series! As I rounded second base, relief flooding me, I could see my team mob the plate waiting for me to make it home! As I trotted home, the team mobbed me and lifted me up on their shoulders chanting, “BRI-AN, BRI-AN, BRI-AN” The fans in the bleachers went mad and cheered louder than I have ever head fans cheer! I did it I told myself, I am the baseball hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment